Annons:
Taggaming
Read 1980 times
jordan
2019-04-15 23:09

Insomniac's ingenious method of piracy protection

The recommended section on YouTube typically throws a lot of rubbish content your way, but sometimes their algorithm brings up something genuinely fascinating.

Piracy was a huge issue during the era of the PlayStation 1, due to how easy it was to chip the console, and copy the contents of discs onto other discs. While some companies focused on making it harder to crack the game, for Spyro 3: Year of the dragon, the developers had a different solution.

The game itself was as simple for others to crack as it had always been, but if you were playing a cracked version yourself you would be welcomed by a specific message when leaving the first area of the game.

After this, the game will throw all kinds of annoyances at the player. The game will pause itself randomly, controls will not work as intended, and progress made on levels will randomly reset itself. However, the most brutal of these happens at the end of the game, as when the final boss is defeated, the player is sent back to the start area… With EVERYTHING erased Laughing out loud

Does piracy still happen with games today, even in the digital era? Do you know of any cool anti-piracy measures?

The message given to players

Annons:
Emo
2019-04-16 05:08

Laughing out loud

My website: American version
Min hemsida: Svensk version

Niklas
2019-04-16 11:26

Hasn’t game prices been lowered since those days, or is it just that I play on iOS only? In the CD and DVD era many games cost 60-70-80 dollar. Now I pay only a fraction of that for good games. If I am right, the benefit of using pirated games has been decreased significantly.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-04-18 00:18

#2 I would say they are about the same nowadays, although there was a price hike of around 10 dollars last generation. Funnily enough, digital downloads actually cost more than the physical discs (as bemusing as that is), but I do think the anti piracy has improved since then that the disc is much harder to duplicate.

Niklas
2019-04-18 13:49

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed. That sounds pretty expensive to me.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-04-22 18:34

#4 In comparison with other media, it definitely is! I guess you get more for the money though, you could spend 100's of hours on a game, maybe less so with a film.

Scroll to top
Annons: