Annons:
Taggaming
Read 1635 times
jordan
2019-08-10 18:44

Racing against one of YouTube's biggest sim racers

Simulation racing has been receiving more and more coverage recently, resulting in an increase in interest in what was once seen as a very small part of the gaming community.

Among current F1 drivers and Triple A developers entering the scene, Jimmy Broadbent's YouTube channel has grown to a point where he now has almost 300,000 subscribers, watching his videos for their daily dosage of sim racing.

While it is quite expensive to get into initially (some racing rigs cost well over £1000), some games offer gamepad compatibility, which depending on the title you play, effects how competitive you are.

Luckily for me, I was able to race against Jimmy himself in one of his livestreams earlier this week! The game of choice was Gran Turismo Sport, the latest title from the wildly successful franchise.

Sadly for me though, the race did not go so well Laughing out loud Despite starting third, I was first hit into Jimmy Broadbent at the first corner, before being taken out completely at turn three by someone who wanted to use me as a brake. If it was any consolation, I managed to fight back up to 10th, but no where near the lead pack. My 15 minutes of fame were up, and I was left in the dust Crying

Annons:
Niklas
2019-08-22 10:34

I can't believe I watched the whole first race. 😀 Jimmy, too, had a rough start with uncalibrated steering wheel and time outside the track. How much is the computer screen a competitive factor in racing? I mean, if you have a really good and large screen you will get more immersed in the game and that could be a big advantage. Or not.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

jordan
2019-08-22 20:36

He is one of my favourite content creators at the moment! He comes across as very honest and critical of whatever he does, and most of the time he is pretty damn fast as well!

#1 I would say it isn't too much a factor, but only in comparison to other games where reactions directly relate to performance. For instance in a first person shooter, ideally you would want 1ms delay on a small(er) monitor so that you can see the entire screen and react as quickly as your wits allow.

While that can be handy in racing, it isn't as neccesary. For the GT Sport World Finals, they use 42" TV's that fit appropriately to the rigs that they set up. Thinking about it, maybe a bigger TV would be better as the field of view would also be larger. Perhaps soon VR will fill that spot as the gap between sim racing and real racing continues to decrease.

Scroll to top
Annons: